Niseko used to be the place with the most fatal avalanche accidents in Japan.
The Niseko Rules have been implemented in order to reduce and prevent accidents in the out of bounds area. Our community respects your freedom to ski/snowboard, but we are also deeply concerned about your safety. All resort users must obey the following rules for everyone’s safety.
01.Always use gates to go out of the resort boundaries.
02.Do not duck boundary ropes.
03.Wearing a helmet and an avalanche beacon is highly recommended in the out of bounds area. This rule will be mandated in the 2020-2021 season.
04.Skiing/snowboarding out of bounds is prohibited when gates are closed.
05.Never enter strictly off-limits areas at any time (except for official rescue and research operations).
06.Elementary school children are not allowed in the out of bounds area unless accompanied by an elder companion.
1. A minimum of ¥100,000 will be charged for out of bounds search and rescue operations.
2. Rules violators may be banned from using the resort facilities by having their lift-pass confiscated and/or refused to reissue a new pass.
3. Many past accidents have occurred during bad weather conditions. Do not over estimate your equipment and/or knowledge and always be cautious. Obey the ski patrol’s instructions, beware of crevasses and trees and be aware that snow mountains are never 100% safe.
4. The Niseko Avalanche Information is the area’s official information. The hazard level is estimated using systems and methods developed by the Niseko Avalanche Institute.
5. Carrying an avalanche beacon, a probe and a shovel is very highly recommended. This equipment may save not only your life but your buddy’s too.